Monday, May 26, 2014

2nd Week at FNM!

My second week at Food Network Magazine was as exciting as the first! Every time family and friends ask me about what I've been up to at my internship, they're impressed with how much hands-on experience and one-on-one mentoring I'm receiving, which makes me realize even more how lucky I am to have such a worthwhile internship!

My mentoring process began as soon as I walked in the door my first day. My boss, Sara, has naturally become a mentor for me. Each morning, she leaves little notes on my desk or an email of projects to get started on and tasks to complete. These tasks aren't things I was expecting to do, like grabbing coffee or filing. Instead, Sara and her colleagues are trusting me with work that they would normally do themselves. I create presentations to be pitched to advertiser clients, research restaurants and activities in Chicago to entertain clients, and do research on how FNM's marketing campaigns are being executed.

Sara is young, and has only been at Hearst for 6 months. However, what is so impressive about her is that in her short time at FNM, she's already created programs and tools to make what was already happening at FNM even more efficient. She is independent, responsible, and completes assignments before they have even been formally assigned to her, and that are executed in more detail that would have even been asked of her.

On Wednesday, I got to sit in on my first team meeting. The FNM sales team is composed of 5 very sharp women. I have the most in common with Sara, as she is not that much older than me, but having the opportunity to talk with the other sales reps has been invaluable as well. They are genuinely interested in what I want to get out of my internship to help me determine what is most important to me in deciding what kind of career path to follow. I can't wait to learn more from my team!
A little perk!

Pretty view right outside my office!

3 comments:

  1. This honestly sounds like an awesome internship! It seems like you are going to be able to get a good grasp on the business world, especially regarding sales, while also having fun with it. What made you chose this internship? I also have the privilege of working with many young people and agree that it is definitely enjoyable and easy to connect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a great experience! It is so nice that you are getting such hands on experience. Definitely seems like a great learning experience being able to sit in on team meetings. I hope that the rest of the summer is as enjoyable as it is now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thats great that you're able to be so involved and that Sara is such a mentor. A mentor like that can truly make or break a job or internship and it sounds like you got really lucky. It seems like you can learn a lot this summer from your internship so enjoy and take advantage of every opportunity you get!

    ReplyDelete