Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Madrid Internship - Week 1

Hey everyone!
The entrance to my office
I arrived here in Madrid last Thursday and I'm having an amazing time exploring this beautiful city! I'm here to do an internship with 1 Kilo de Ayuda, a non-profit organization that raises funds for projects relating to health, education, and employment. My main responsibilities include media design and production while also maintaining various social networking sites. Last Monday, I started my internship and met everyone at my office. Everyone is really welcoming and patient with me trying to understand their Spanish. Last week, I mainly searched on the Internet for other companies to collaborate with and doing some advertisement design. Because last Friday was the Madrid holiday for San Isidro, I only worked three days during my first week!


Atmosphere
Because there are only about six people working in my office, it is a lot easier to get acquainted with everyone. Even though there are directors who oversee the whole organization, it seems that everyone maintains fairly casual relationships with one another, regardless of age. On the first day, my boss told me that they don’t follow a strict agenda here, which allows people to take initiative with their own projects. While I’m here, I’m going to working on various projects but I can also suggest my own ideas.
Dress
Our office!
There are usually a few more people around.
The women at my office usually come in wearing a nice blouse, and dress pants or jeans. Though they don’t dress too formally, I haven’t seen anyone with a simple t-shirt on. For the men, I think their dress code is a bit more relaxed as I’ve seem them wear dress shirts, but also sweatshirts. Lucia, a girl who attends university here and works with me in media design, comes into work wearing a dress or even shorts and tights. 

These are my observations so far but it seems that I still have a lot to learn (about the organization and Spanish)! 

Hasta luego,
Hannah

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like your internship is a really unique opportunity! It will definitely be a great experience learning at your internship as well as the culture of Madrid. I wonder if you will find your internship experience to be different than those in the United States? Can't wait to read more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it will be an incredible experience! It seems as though you adapting quickly and I'm sure by the end you will be extremely comfortable, with both the organization and the language. Since you said relationships are casual between the co-workers I am sure they will have no problem helping you get acclimated. It also should be nice having Lucia, someone about your age to show you around the city a bit. I'm excited to read your future posts and see how the process of adapting to a new country and culture goes for you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your internship sounds great! I'm sure it's going to be an incredible experience to live in Madrid and experience what life is like there. And don't worry, you'll catch on to the spanish pretty quickly. But I hope that some of your co-workers speak english. How long are you in Madrid for? I give you serious props for traveling to a foreign country with a different language for an internship. I can't wait to here about the different projects you work on and how life is in Madrid. Have to much fun!

    ReplyDelete