Sunday, May 18, 2014

First Week On The Job!


I started my internship at the Red Project of Grand Rapids on May 7th. I work two days a week, on Wednesdays and Fridays. The Red Project is a non-profit organization that is involved in public health issues including HIV/AIDs prevention and testing, syringe exchange, and overdose prevention training. Being a non-profit organization, I honestly wasn’t sure really what to expect. Usually non-profits have the reputation of being a little disorderly and laid back, which is exactly what the atmosphere at the Red Project is like. I can’t complain about this at all. I have tried very hard to be punctual considering I’m the new intern and I don’t want to mess anything up right off the bat, and every time I’ve been the first one at the office.   
There are a total of 5 staff members, all very diverse in life experiences and identities. Before I started my internship, I had a meeting with executive director of the organization to finalize my schedule and get the scope on what it is exactly I would be doing as an intern. It was a very informal but informative meeting. I can’t lie though, the first time I walked into the building I was a little shocked about how small of a space they had to work in, but I reminded myself to keep an open-mind. One of the first questions I asked my boss was what the dress code was because everyone in the office was in wearing jeans and overall very casual attire, so I just needed to confirm this dress would be appropriate for me too. He told me that every intern asks that andassured me it was more on the casual side unless there was a formal meeting I would be attending. At the organization the dress is more casual mostly because we like to relate to our clients, especially when working on the mobile unit (pictured below). The mobile unit is where I have been spending most of my time, besides in the office doing data entry and all that fun stuff interns usually have the pleasure of doing. The mobile unit is used to park at various sites around Grand Rapids in order to distribute safe sex supplies, do syringe exchanges, and the occasional HIV test. I’m still in training to be certified to do HIV testing myself. 
Though I’m still getting the hang of everything (and I’ve been noticing there is a lot I will have to remember) I’ve gotten to spend a good amount of time learning about different clients and their backgrounds. Though I was born and raised in Grand Rapids Michigan, already I’ve seen such a new side to this city I’ve never experienced before. I can’t wait to learn more.


No comments:

Post a Comment