Friday, July 25, 2014

CEO for a day!

During my time at the U.S. Attorney's Office, I didn't really learn much about the role of the U.S. Attorney.  I know that he fights cases on behalf of the federal government and are appointed by the President.  If I were the U.S. Attorney of the Southern District of Georgia, I wouldn't change a thing about the way I did my job.  I think Mr. Tarver handles his role perfectly.  Many of the people who worked in the office told me about a lot of high profile cases that had just been fought and were successfully won by the US Attorney's Office.  Why try to fix something that's not even broken? 
What I would change, however, is be more involved in the daily happenings in the office.  I know that being the US Attorney for a district is a demanding job and things can only be successfully accomplished by delegating tasks to other staff, but I think it would be better to see the boss around the office more often.  It would make for a more welcoming environment.  Every time I was called to the US Attorney's office, I felt like a I was being called to the principle's office.  It was daunting, even though he was very nice and I was never in trouble.  Seeing the boss around the office more just makes him or her feel less intimidating.  
Also if I were the boss, I'd treat my interns to frequent pizza parties and field trips to the court house.  Going to the court and sitting in on trials doesn't seem like it'd be as fun as a pizza party, but to someone who is interested in a career in law, it's just as fulfilling.  


2 comments:

  1. It's so great that you like your job so much that you wouldn't want to change anything. I agree with your attitude that if something works why try and make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think any company works better when the boss/CEO is around on a daily basis. I interned at Make-A-Wish and the CEO was there basically everyday. She knew the names of her employees and really cared about the mission of the organization. I know that non-profit is quite different from politics, but I think similar business practices could work!

    ReplyDelete