Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Update #5: Looking Back



U of M didn’t prepare me for the content of this internship. That’s not a surprise considering I didn't take any film or communications classes, but that’s not what I intend to study, so it makes sense. Michigan did however, prepare me for the hard work and figure-it-out mentality that you need to have in order to be successful in creating the video projects I’ve been working on. Gino, the video director, has been very helpful to me in showing me what I need to create and what things are supposed to look like, but for the most part, I am expected to figure out a way to use graphics and audio effects and film techniques to achieve that. This is my job; to figure out how to accomplish this. Michigan didn’t teach me anything about Final Cut Pro or film making because I didn’t focus on that, but I learned how to problem solve there, and those skills are the ones that have helped me sail through this internship. Looking back on what I’ve created so far, I’m very content with what I’ve done. My projects have over a quarter-million views online, and best of all, they're all professional quality. There’s still one major project I’m working on though. Gino told me to pitch him an idea for a funny or wacky video that could go viral that I can completely create myself that keeps with the pace and purpose of the website; my own ‘brainchild’ if you will. Given that HollywoodLife is about celebrity news for the most part, I’ve decided to make a video counting down the most controversial and interesting celebrity plastic surgery incidents. I’ve written the script myself and I’m going to be shooting it in the next week or so before I edit. If you want to see it, keep checking HollywoodLife.com for updates!

2 comments:

  1. Jeremy,

    Michigan does do a great job of preparing us for the unknown. Although you have not taken these classes I as a communications major would recommend them. They are really interesting and can teach you a lot about networking and marketing with people. It sounds like your project has been very successful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your statement on U of M's preparation is very valid. Although they might not have prepared you for your exact internship, there are some skills you learned there that definitely helped. I hope you take advantage of your opportunity for the reminder of the summer and good luck on your own project.

    ReplyDelete