Thursday, July 31, 2014

Looking Back

Looking back at my high school experience, I realize that it did little to prepare me for real world scenarios. For most of my life, I attended a private, Catholic school that failed to expose me to different races or different world views. For the second half of high school, I attended a large public school, but still didn't get a taste of all there was to know. Finally, comes my first year at the University of Michigan. I have met more people of different ethnicity and cultures in the last year than I have my entire life. I'm finally taught and exposed to both sides of the argument, and I know how to interact with many different types of people.

When I started my internship, I was unaware of how lucky I was in high school to have dedicated teachers and staff. Now, I know that Detroit students aren't as lucky in their school system. Too many students don't graduate and those that do sometimes can't afford an education post high school. Now, in my internship I am using my liberal arts education to spread the word about this issue in Detroit, utilizing my writing in blog posts and through social media. 

The only thing I didn't expect to find through the internship was that I would be just as busy as I am during the school year. For one man that I interviewed for the company's blog, I had to meet him at 5 o'clock where he does his designing. I agreed, but after working 8-4 and then hopping on the expressway, ASAP, I knew approaching 5 that I would not be there in time. I felt horrible and I knew that running late was highly unprofessional, especially to someone doing me the favor of giving the interview.

Walking into the interview, not knowing how the man would react, I decided that I would do (or not do) two things:

1) I would not make excuses for why I was late (I was working, there was traffic, I needed gas, etc.)
2) I would not let this set the mood for the interview

So, I walked in and apologized and let him know how much I appreciated his taking the time to do the interview. When he said it was alright, I was relieved, and I thanked him for his patience. After that, the interview went smoothly sans traces of stress from running late. 

Now, I learned that I should plan out my days better, and always leave a little bit earlier :)

No comments:

Post a Comment