Sunday, July 20, 2014

Week 2

As I'm finishing up the 2nd week of my internship, I'm sad that my roommate and fellow intern at work is leaving today :( She's from Canada and has been here for 2 months working at PORDAC. She's taught me a lot about Delhi and our work environment and I am going to miss her a lot as she is the only other intern at PORDAC. Most of the teachers at PORDAC do not speak English very well so there is really no one to communicate with me other than Emily and our boss Manjir. I hope another intern will come so that I'll have someone to talk to, as Manjir is sometimes gone on work-related trips all day. Emily has just graduated from university so she has been a really great mentor to me at work and outside of work. She gave me advice on how to communicate with our boss effectively and on using my own initiative to find projects to work on. She's also taught me how to be open to doing things I might not necessarily enjoy and being flexible because working for a small NGO requires doing a lot of different work than I'm used to sometimes. She's always so appreciate, kind and hardworking that I'm very glad I at least had someone to guide me the first 2 weeks. I would be so lost without her because the culture here is so different and the workplace was not at all what I expected. She really helped me to adjust and learn to make the most out of my placement. Outside of work she has been crucial to helping me adjust to the Indian culture and giving me an array of useful advice. I'm very glad I got to meet her because I feel so much more prepared than I did when I arrived. The picture below is one from when Emily and I went to Center Park this week, a very popular park in Delhi, home to the giant Indian flag we are pictured with. I wish her the best in her future endeavors!


No comments:

Post a Comment