Tuesday, July 8, 2014

My first month at the Woods Hole Marine Biological Laboratories

So apparently when I logged in to my blogger account, it logged me straight into the account that I had last year for my internship in Costa Rica, instead of this one, so all my posts went on that blog and needless to say I am very very behind in my blogging about this (I'm sorry, please don't take points from me!!). I apologize and will try to sum up my first month in a way that doesn't make you want to cry with how long this post is. Cause there's quite a bit.
So this is my third summer, I just finished my junior year, and it is also my third internship. I study Ecology and Evolutionary Biology but use my summers to focus on my actual passion, marine ecology and biology, since I obviously can't do that at Michigan much. My first summer was working at a place sort of similar to Sea World but in Hawaii, my second was studying the effects of marine debris on nesting sea turtles in Costa Rica, and now I am working at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute's Marine Biological Labs in Massachusetts! While the location isn't quite as gorgeous as my last two summers, this by far has been my favorite internship. I am studying the camouflaging behavior of cuttlefish, which are cephalopods, closely related to squid and octopi. A lot of people think they look creepy (my best friend has dubbed them Cthulhu-fish.) or weird but they are actually really fascinating.
Environment/Initial Impression & Getting to Know My Colleagues: The people I work for are really fantastic. The man who runs the lab, Dr. Hanlon, is absolutely brilliant (weird, but brilliant); he's written several books on cephalopods and their behavior and every time he talks I feel a bit dumber. My supervisor Kendra is wonderful. She has been so nice and helpful and although she is not in the office very often, she responds to emails and phone calls super fast and has been really supportive. Two other workers in the lab, Kimmy and George, are working on some incredible projects of their own and it is really cool to be in the same lab as them and seeing what they're doing. George's work on the skin structure of cuttlefish and squid has given me the opportunity to dissect a cuttlefish, which was so so so so so cool it completely made my week. It's not very racially diverse (okay it's not racially diverse at all) but there is a very even ratio of female/male scientists here, which is fantastic to me. The dress code is really relaxed (more reasons to love science research), Kendra likes to joke that she can wear her PJs to the office. I think it really helps us have a calmer atmosphere. I have a lot of independence here. I am essentially completely running my own project and am doing all the data analysis, and then this will get published into a paper (I won't write the whole thing but I'll be an author on it which is stellar). Our "hierarchy" is kind of... nonexistent. We know where everyone is on the hypothetical totem pole, but again, its very laid back and if you have questions just ask somebody.
I think that Kendra would definitely be my official mentor. She has been incredibly supportive and is always available when I need her and I have already learned so much. Kendra has done some of what I'd like to do in my career, and her and Kimmy have already recommended a lot of graduate programs where I can continue my work. Dr. Hanlon has also sat me down and had a lot of helpful advice to give me about where I'm going in my future and how to get there! I'm hoping to use a letter of recommendation from one of them to help get me to my next step.
In short, all my coworkers are awesome and I haven't had a single issue with anyone, which is fantastic! I'm always really worried about fitting in, and since everyone here is a permanent worker and I'm just "the intern", I was concerned it would be an uncomfortable transition. But everyone is laid back and accepting; I wouldn't mind working here full time! Maybe if graduate school doesn't work out... :)
(Okay maybe the view isn't so bad)


2 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing, I wish I had a mentor like that to guide me through everything throughout my internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seriously so jealous of all your internship opportunities you have had! Marine biology is so interesting to me so I loved reading about your experience. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete