Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Challenges

In my office this week, my complete computer setup finally arrived. I have been waiting for two monitors, a keyboard, mouse, and docking station for four weeks. Now, instead of having to work from my laptop, I have a larger computer to use. These items help me produce my work more efficiently, and do not strain my eyes. Today, my office gave a presentation on the full time program which is a two year program offered to candidates whose internship turns out successful. I am very interested to see how my summer role will be different than any full time opportunity available. After four weeks at the office, I feel quite comfortable and have met many of the people working near me. I have picked up some technical skills as well as terminology. One challenge that I faced so far is not understanding company terminology. After a few weeks of reviewing acronyms I became much more comfortable and familiar with company vernacular. Another challenge I have experienced is my PowerPoint skills had to adapt to the company’s template. The way that I have previously created PowerPoint charts and tables do not match up to the company’s template, and therefore I had to become accustomed to company standards. However, things are going smoothly and I feel that I am learning a lot.

2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome that you might have a full-time opportunity after this! I can understand about the terminology; I feel like I could write a dictionary with all the new words I've had to learn since being here. Glad things are going smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had to learn a new way to work with Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, which are not easy! Learning different ways to use PowerPoint will definitely be helpful at any job. I'm glad to hear this is going so well for you!

    ReplyDelete