Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Looking Back/Overall Insight

It’s my second to last week interning at Shiftgig and I can’t believe it’s already been three months! I was really nervous when I first started my internship because I didn’t feel like the Communications Department had prepared me for the real world yet. Most of the Comm classes I’ve taken have been theoretical rather than applicable to future careers in marketing/advertising. That being said, now that I have almost completed my summer internship I see how being a LSA student at Michigan has helped me at my internship. The general working habits and skills I’ve picked up taking LSA courses have allowed me to complete my tasks and projects as an intern both efficiently and successfully. I never realized how writing a thorough and detailed research paper would be useful outside of an academic setting, but I’ve used the research methods I learned in classes on multiple projects assigned to me this summer.


Overall, I think that my summer internship at Shiftgig was a successful first internship and a positive experience that taught me a lot. I thought that I would always be busy with work to do, but I’ve realized this isn’t always the case; it’s vital to take initiative and ask what else you can be doing so you’re not bored and feel like you’re not learning anything! It’s also a great way to show your boss and coworkers your a hard-worker who wants to get involved and help the company in any way you can. Fostering positive relationships with your coworkers is also key. It makes the long working days go by quicker and it’s always good to meet as many people in your industry as possible. I'm excited to apply what I've learned this summer in future internships & jobs and hope to stay in touch with the other interns I bonded with! 

1 comment:

  1. I hope you really enjoyed your experience and have learnt a lot through the internship!

    ReplyDelete