Monday, July 14, 2014

Changing perspectives

             Since working at the editorialist, my perspective about this environment has definitely changed. As a consumer, I was never fully aware of what happened on the other side of the industry. Since being immersed in the back end, I see how much truly goes on.
            One of the most interesting things I’ve observed is how often fraud occurs in the industry. There are have been many occasions in which we have caught people trying to scam our site. For example, this week a customer called to tell us a package containing a bracelet we delivered came empty. She accused the doorman of stealing it, which we learned was a lie after looking into the situation with more detail and suggestion of police involvement. Because we are a small, e-commerce company, this woman thought she would be able to scam us and acquire another bracelet, free of charge. I was so amazed at hoe persistent the employees were in getting to the bottom of the issue.

            Coming into this internship I didn’t really have any pre-conceived notions since I had no prior experience in this field. What I have learned, though, is that the fashion industry is way more complex that any consumer can imagine. Whether it’s finding new ways to beat out competition, coming up with creative ways to market new products, or just handling day to day orders, the industry is constantly moving, and fast.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty crazy that there are so many scams! Hopefully the company never gets fooled.

    ReplyDelete