Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Meetings at Scoutmob

          One of my favorite parts of my Scoutmob Internship has been my ability to sit in on meetings, because I feel that they truly teach me how the company works and everything that goes on behind the scenes. Last week, I found the all-company meeting and Christmas meeting to be particularly interesting.
            There is an all-company meeting about every three weeks. During last weeks meeting, a member from each team (local and Shoppe) discussed positives and negatives of the past few weeks. For the local team, they discussed how it has been the 3rd best month since the company was launched. This is great because there were no huge deals that did much better than the others, meaning that the local side of the company is becoming steady and sustainable. On the Shoppe side, they discussed the launch of Blake Lively’s new shopping site, which is very similar to Scoutmob. They talked about what they did and did not like about the products, appearance, ect., and what they can take away from it. After the meeting, there was a breakfast for lunch potluck!
            I also attended a Christmas meeting in which the employees discussed Christmas 2013. The meeting was at 5pm – 6pm on Friday, and in order to get employees a little more interested, my boss, Jarod, made Christmas themed drinks and brought in gingerbread cookies. During the meeting, Jarod shared many statistics regarding the holidays and Shoppe. I found it to be extremely interesting that the season accounts for 30-40% of the company’s revenue, and about 80% of the customers are first time users. There was also a lot of discussion on customer service, which they feel needs to be improved. It becomes very hectic during the holiday season, and being prepared is very important. This meeting was to discuss last year’s holiday season; there will be another meeting to discuss plans for this holiday season.

            I learned a lot from these meetings, and I really enjoyed hearing from employees that I don’t normally work with on a daily basis!

3 comments:

  1. That's great that you got to sit in on those meetings! I wish I had that opportunity during my internship more often. I got to sit in on a few meetings, but not very regularly. Most of the time I didn't really know what they were talking about anyway. That's great that the meetings are relevant to your work as an intern and you are getting something out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that sitting in on meetings is great! You're lucky you got to do it so many times because I always wish to do it more. They are always so interesting and you can really learn a lot from them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy,

    Learning from watching is a great way to learn about how a company works. Its also great to take notes on how a real meeting may be like in the corporate world. They can be boring at times but when people know what they are talking about its really interesting to learn from them and maybe find someone who may be a good role model that can help you be the best you can!

    ReplyDelete