Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Week 5: Looking back on a summer in Baltimore

I’m approaching the end of my internship at the Baltimore Sun. Actually, because of the All-Star break, Sunday was my last Orioles game. I have a couple of weeks left in the office, and that’s it.

Here are a couple samples of what I’ve written lately: http:
Right now, I’m working on a longer feature on a player who defected from Cuba to play baseball in the United States.

As I mentioned in a couple of comments, it’s disappointing that Michigan doesn’t offer a journalism major outside of a broad Communications field. There are many things that you just have to pick up on the fly, like ethics and legal standing. That’s not exactly comforting when I could theoretically be sued for something I write. (In fact, an angry fan emailed me threatening a lawsuit because of something a player said. Still waiting for a call from my lawyer.)

With that said, I’ve received very positive feedback from my supervisors, and I’m sure a lot of that has to do with Michigan. At the Sun, I’ve had to handle a lot at once and be proficient in several different fields. And that’s the point of a liberal arts education, right? We’ll leave Michigan as more well-rounded people who can think analytically and write well.

In just a few weeks, I’ll be returning to Ann Arbor to start my final year at a university that I call home. Next year at this time, I know that I’ll wish I could still say that. And for that, I’m truly lucky.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my god! Did someone really threaten to sue you?! I guess the field of journalism comes with those types of risks. I agree that it's disappointing the a school as large and as great at Michigan doesn't offer an actual journalism major. I wonder if it's possible to try interdisciplinary journalism, just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interning at a newspaper right now, and the risks involved with writing a story about someone are pretty scary, aren't they? I've had to interview quite a few celebrities here in Nashville and my boss can't emphasize enough the importance of recording everything that someone says. If they deny saying something and you don't have it recorded, it's your word against their word, and they're most likely going to win that battle. Quotes sure are tricky!

    ReplyDelete