Monday, July 7, 2014

Week 2

Since the day I arrived on campus my head researcher has been my mentor. She has helped be navigate my way through the campus as well as given me much needed advice on how to approach patients. However since she is my head researcher and I feel as if I am burdening her if I ask too many questions, I have found a new mentor. She is our research project directory and I feel comfortable asking her any questions. She has been helpful in all aspects whether it is connecting me with other people in the office or just providing guidance as to where my research should be heading.

What was interesting is that a month into my internship I became somewhat of a mentor. New interns began researching at the beginning of July and I was tasked with showing them the ropes of the internship. I taught them about the research we were doing and how to talk to patients in the clinic. It was a good checkpoint for myself as I was able to relay to them what I had learned so far. This showed me I was learning and was achieving some of the goals I had made at the beginning of the summer.

Overall I've learned how helpful the people you are working with can be. The people I reached out to for guidance have given me many opportunities. They allowed me to tour the ICELS room where medical students go to practice clinical treatment. This opportunity was extremely beneficial for me as I was exposed to the medical school environment. We even got to practice clinical treatments!

No comments:

Post a Comment