Monday, July 7, 2014

Applying Academic Skills to the Workplace


I hear a lot of people comparing the school world with the work world, saying that they don't draw very many comparisons and don't see how school prepared them for their actual job. In the world of journalism, however, the similarities are so strong that it's almost scary.

I'm not just talking about a related major either. In fact, U of M doesn't even have a journalism or writing major, so I couldn't compare them even if I wanted to. It's just a similar system to...well, any class that requires writing. One of the editors will approach me and say "Hey Greg, I need you to write 400-500 words on (some subject). Turn it in to me by 2 p.m. on July 3rd." Some stories/articles even have to be finished within the hour that they're assigned to me! There's no time for writer's block, that's for sure.

Timing causes pressure, but the biggest pressure is writing quality. I'm always paranoid my writing isn't very good for some reason. It's tough balancing creativity and factual reporting. You know how there are some professors that like spicy writing and others that prefer bland writing? Editors are the same way. All of them want different things, and sometimes I don't even recognize my own stories by the time they get edited and published. I'm starting to understand why Johnny Depp doesn't watch any of his own movies. Most of the time I'm too afraid to even look at my own articles because they look so different than what I originally wrote.

Anyway, that's my serious topic for this post. On a lighter, more exciting note, I got to go to Miranda Lambert's #1 party for her song "Automatic"! It took place in this quaint bar in downtown Nashville, and it was retro themed. I was really hoping Blake Shelton would be there, but I guess he was busy with something else. Touring, perhaps? Miranda was incredibly nice and let her songwriters do most of the talking during the speech hour. I find it pretty admirable when the artists let the writers soak in as much spotlight as possible during an important event. Good for you, Miranda!



That's all for now. Hope everybody's enjoying their internships!

- Greg Hicks, music reporting intern for The Tennessean

2 comments:

  1. First of all, it's super cool that you got to meet Miranda Lambert! I think it's great that you are able to see how your time at U of M has prepared you for your internship. I might have a little bit more trouble doing so. I can't imagine having to write a quality piece of work in under an hour. Writer's block usually gets to me. It must be rough seeing your original work change so much. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand what you mean about watching your writing change. My research project is being written up and published, and my supervisor has already warned me "prepare for it to come back covered in red", and then assured me that even those of them who have been doing scientific writing for decades still get their drafts destroyed. I'm not even sure where to start because every time I open a new draft I get terrified! Hopefully its all part of the learning curve?

    ReplyDelete