Monday, July 7, 2014

Changing Perspectives

I am one happy intern! 
I originally thought that my work environment would be extremely daunting and serious.  While the people were welcoming and very friendly from the beginning, I thought that they would be strict with me, keeping me busy no matter what.  Surprisingly, my supervisor was not strict at all.  He told us that we'd all be on a first name basis, something that was quite unusual for me because I'm so young.  He'd often take all of us interns out to lunch.  Even though we were downtown with numerous restaurants in walking distance, he'd drive us all to another part of town just because he wanted to, and we'd get an extra-long lunch break.  
At first, I believed that security would be a pain.  I thought I'd have to check in with the guards on the third floor or I'd have to go through a metal detector every day, but once I received my own security pass and bathroom code, security was never a bother. 
What surprised me the most was the flexibility of the job.  I wasn't too keen on working 40 hours a week, but since the other interns are doing it, so am I.  This course requires at least 100 hours.  My supervisor often allows me to leave early if the day's work is done and encourages me to take a day off every week if I want to as long as I reach my required 100 hours. It was rather shocking that they cared so much about us interns' academic requirements.  Well, I guess it's understandable because one of the local colleges here require an internship as part of one of their programs before students are allowed to graduate. 
I'm actually relieved that the environment is a lot more laid back than I originally thought. I have a tendency to believe that things will be much worse than they actually turn out to be, but I'm glad that my first internship didn't turn out to be something I couldn't handle or worse, something I didn't enjoy.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    It's great to hear that you are enjoying your internship. I beleive it's most important ot enjoy the work that you do. Becasue this is your first internship I can see that it's important to feel that the work you do is not over the top and extremely hard. However as you progress, I found that I preferred an internship which challenged me and made me work harder.

    ReplyDelete