Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Overcoming Obstacles



     I’m always afraid to ask for feedback because I never want to be told that I’m doing an inadequate job.  Me, being me, I was a little hesitant to approach anyone to receive any feedback.  I’m just an unpaid intern, working at an office where everyone seems to have important government jobs.  I didn’t think anyone had the time to check up on my work.  So, I sent an email.  In retrospect, it probably wasn’t the most professional thing to do but it was received just fine.  I sent an email detailing all of the information and research I’d uncovered so far and even added some of my own suggestions similar programs to help minority youth could be implemented here in our own community.  The secretary of the U.S. Attorney, who I sent the email to, came up to my office and commended me on a job well done.  She’d had some questions, but they weren’t ones that I couldn’t answer.  After she left, I felt silly that I hadn’t just walked down the hall to her office and gave her or even the U.S. Attorney if he was available an update of my work.  It surprised me how impressed she was with my work.  I thought it wasn’t all that stellar, but she told me that my research had been very thorough.  I guess I’d just underestimated myself. 
My notes all neat and tidy

        The most difficult thing I’ve had to deal with is an internal struggle on whether or what I have to say is worth listening to.  It’s in my nature.  I generally won’t say anything unless asked, and I always believe that what I have to say usually isn’t important enough to bother people with.  I quickly learned that this mindset doesn’t flow well in a workplace environment.  A co-worker had advised me that my quiet nature would make it extremely easy for others to walk all over me, and that might mean that they’ll get chosen for a promotion over me because I remained unnoticed.  What he said makes a lot of sense.  I wish I’d known from the very beginning that it’s okay to bother people and ask questions or give updates.  In fact, it’s encouraged because the purpose of having an internship is to learn. 

3 comments:

  1. That is great to hear! Similar to your interactions with your boss, I have found that communication is key. Based on my interactions with my boss, it seems like regardless of where you are in a project, or the question that you have, people want to help us out. It is also better to get these questions answered now rather than five years down the line when we have actual jobs. I am happy to see that I am not the only one with these types of interactions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing that you are learning so much about yourself as a person! It's so important to speak up, be heard & be your own cheerleader in the workplace. Sounds like a wonderful learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel silly, you actually did the right thing by emailing them! You never know if people are busy, so emailing your supervisors gives them the chance to communicate with you at their own convenience. If you showed up out of the blue, you'd have put them in a position where they had to focus on you, whether they wanted to or not. Glad to hear that you're thinking about the importance of feedback!

    ReplyDelete