Sunday, July 6, 2014

Second half: Changing perspectives


Not surprisingly, it began to storm about three minutes later.
Somehow, it’s already July, and somehow, there are only seven Orioles games left before I head back home. 

If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that being on the baseball beat is really, really difficult. Both of the full-time members think it’s the hardest job at a newspaper. There are 162 games in a season, plus spring training, plus the All-Star Game, plus trades and rumors and signings. It’s pretty much non-stop. I’m only doing work at that games themselves, and that’s exhausting enough as it is. I can’t imagine also being responsible for breaking news and covering series on the road, which they both do. 

I’m far from this point in my life, but it seems like it would be challenging to both be a baseball writer and have a family. At games, I work from 3:15 pm to whenever the game ends and final stories are submitted, which is usually around midnight or later. It’s fine as a guy living alone in Baltimore, but it seems impossible to balance that alongside any kind of social life. 

So if there’s a lesson I’m taking from the internship so far, it’s that I really do enjoy sports writing. But if I had to choose between baseball and football, which has a ~20-game schedule on weekends only, it’d be a pretty easy decision. 


2 comments:

  1. Alejandro,
    It's great to hear that you are developing a strong understanding of what working in baseball sports writing will look like. Intense, it sounds! But keep on working hard! Sounds like you're almost done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that you noticed this because I always say to my dad I can't imagine being married to a baseball player because it seems like there's a game every single day or they're traveling every day even when it's not baseball season! I never thought about how all of the people in the baseball community, not just the players and coaches, would be affected by the nonstop pace of the MLB. Though having a family may seem far away it's certainly something to keep in mind when deciding whether or not this is the right career choice for you.

    ReplyDelete