Thursday, July 3, 2014

Week Five in the ER

I've been working in the ER at St. Joseph's Hospital for just about two months now and so far, I've completely loved my experience working here. At first, everything was overwhelming... I didn't even know how to get to the ER on my first day! But now, working in the ER has become very comfortable and familiar. Sitting at my work computer I hear the rhythmic beeping of patients' heart rate monitors, doctors and residents talking about their cases, and the EMTs calling in on the radio with the newest incoming patient. The ER is fast paced and exciting but now that I've worked here for a while and am used to the environment, I wouldn't call it a hectic place. Just really, really busy! During my time here thus far, I've really learned how to be independent and productive. I've also really learned how to take initiative. In school, it's easy because teachers tell you what to do (what homework to do and what to study for the exams) but working in the ER, I'm on my own and I have to figure out what to do and how to budget my time to get everything done.

I've also had a lot more patient interaction than I thought I would have. I get to interview patients and ask them about their experience in our ER and what we can do to make their experience better. I love this part of research because the patients respond really well to it. They love having the chance to be heard, especially in an environment like the ER. When I first started here, I thought to myself that I could never work in the ER when I'm older but my opinion has drastically changed since then. I'd be honored to get to work here everyday with such a great staff! Overall, this experience has been amazing... I can't wait for the rest of the year of research!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like such an amazing experience! Very cool to hear how your initial expectations of the ER have been changed by this experience. Are you studying to be a nurse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!!! This sounds like an incredible. I always thought of the ER as more of a blood-bath but your post goes to show its much more hands-on/patient interaction. Very cool and good insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even as someone who is not looking to pursue medicine, this sounds incredible! It seems like you are definitely being involved and immersed in the setting and it's great that you get to learn from such a hands on experience. Interviewing the patients also must be such an interesting opportunity!

    ReplyDelete