Sunday, August 17, 2014

CEO for a Day, WHAT? Comic post

So, this is me...again, #crazyVCguy. If I am the CEO of Oasis500 for a day, ONE DAY ONLY, here is what I am going to do,

  1. Take my 1 day pay check first thing in the morning
  2. Leave work and cash my check
  3. Go to Turkish Bath with the money from above
  4. Hire a driver to the Dead Sea
  5. Go to a five-start resort
  6. Float in the water with a life jacket 
  7. ...And some other things.
That's what I am going to do. I want to experience the CEO life so I will be motivated to work harder.

Okay, the joke ends here.

Oasis500 is an early stage venture capital fund that is still immature, and we are categorized as a baby in the VC world. If I am the CEO, there are three fundamental problems I will address.
  1. Employee culture. Don't get me wrong, the culture at Oasis500 is awesome. I even call my managers Habibi, which means "bro" but with the touch of "my love". However, what I want to change is the incentive. There is a clear difference between my team (investment) and the marketing team and how much work we put in weekly. I would set up an at-the-end-of-the-year-monetary-bonus to get everyone work harder. 
  2. Manager relationships. Quite frankly, there are very few conflicts amount bottom tier workers. However, managers fight consistently at work. I will set up a retreat for all the managers and bond them together with love and understanding.
  3. Internship program. This is Oasis500's first summer of having official interns, and there is no structure. Interns are not given specific tasks to do and there is a lack of instructions and projects for all the interns. At one point, we had 11 interns for 3 departments, and there was simply not enough work for everyone- I got bored and applied to several full-time positions during my internship...Yep, you got the point. 
Besides those, there is nothing else I will change. I loved my jogs with the CEO of Oasis500, and I was there when the Queen of Jordan visited us. I would totally go back to Oasis500 for a full-time position if it was not located in the Middle East. Man, it is way too hot here- I went swimming in the Red Sea 2 weeks ago, and it was literally swimming in the desert at 140F. 

Overall, Oasis500 is awesome, and I absolutely loved it. 


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've had quite the experience this summer! Maybe if they can expand, become huge, and add some offices in the USA then you could work there full time, and you wouldn't have to deal with temperatures that would might actually melt you!

    ReplyDelete