Monday, August 18, 2014

Overall Insight: The Experience

College is called an “experience” for a reason. It’s more than just an education, a big party, or a place to meet friends; it’s all of those and more. All the little things you experience – an 8am lecture, a frat party, dinner on Main St. –come together to make one big experience: college. The things we learn and the people we meet in these four or so years impact us significantly, whether we realize it or not. I learned this first hand this past summer, when I used the lessons from my personal UofM experience to guide me through my internship with Mooesjaw Mountaineering.

Expect the unexpected. I had no idea what I had coming when I first stepped on campus three years ago. In college, everything seems knew, and you’re not always sure how to handle things, especially since –for the first time –you’re kind of “on your own.” As a freshman, and still today, I am trying new things on campus, meeting new people, taking different classes. My experience at UofM has left me with a “go with the flow” attitude that has helped me appreciate the uncertainty of new things. I was uncertain of how my Moosejaw internship would be, but I made the most of it, and it turned out great.

Speak up. This is something I struggled with this summer. I have always been a shy person, so college has been good for me because it forces me to come out of my shell; and it has its benefits. We are graded positively for speaking in class, so I used that mentality in my internship. When I speak up and ask questions at work, I am rewarded with an answer and better feeling of my work. Plus a talking break after writing for an hour is fun.


Take advantage of your situation. I am beyond lucky to go to UofM. I know that I only have one year left in Ann Arbor (I think), and I plan on making the most of it. The same goes for my internship. This is a summer position, so I have tried my best to do contribute as much as I can to the company before my time is up. Moosejaw and UofM have taught me that when you do whatever you can with what you’ve got, try new things, and embrace your surroundings, you will end up with one amazing experience.

2 comments:

  1. Those are some strong points, I know I've learned the same things while at UM and it's good to see that you've put them to good use in the outside world too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see that you were able to use some of the intangible skills that you learned in the classroom and not just the basics during your internship! It sounds like you had a great experience!

    ReplyDelete