Thursday, August 14, 2014

CEO For a Day

As I enter my final week at Venture Outdoors, it's definitely a bittersweet feeling. I think that this internship was a great way to ease into the "office" lifestyle and learn about marketing/communications in a more casual environment.

If I were a CEO for a day, I would focus my efforts on trying to maintain the professionalism of the nonprofit organization. I have noticed at my time here that things seem to move more slowly than I would have expected. For example, it took us 3 weeks to contact raffle winners to let them know that they won a prize. All the employees that work at the office are directors/administrators of our different programs, so everyone is running on their own busy schedule. As a CEO, I would think about asking all the employees to send me a monthly list of their goals. I would probably compile the list, hold a meeting, and give people an overarching view of what everyone else in the office is doing. Then, people might be able to help each other out and make sure the nonprofit is seen as organized and professional.

In the larger scheme of the outdoor recreation industry, I would love to see more focus on getting urban, under-served youth in the outdoors. Studies have shown that something as simple as maintaining a communal garden can help lower crime rates in impoverished neighborhoods. This shows that even the most simple efforts to connect people to the outdoors has profound effects on the community.

2 comments:

  1. You have some really great ideas for this company! Bringing the outdoors and nature to urban populations that could really benefit the community and it's citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked for a non-profit and saw some of the same issues. I think you have some really great ideas as to how to make this certain non-profit run a little more smoothly. Sounds like an awesome experience though!

    ReplyDelete