Thursday, August 28, 2014

Initial Impression of Marie Claire Magazine


I will never forget walking into the Hearst Building and having to wait downstairs until Jonathan, the head of the fashion closet was ready for me to come upstairs to Floor 34. It was strange and unusual to me that the Editor that I was specifically working for and hired by, Rae Boxer, wasn’t meeting me. However, that is when I realized that in the magazine industry and specifically at Marie Claire Magazine, time and hierarchy are extremely important to follow and with Rae Boxer being a head editor, her time is of the essence. Therefore it was Jonathan’s responsibility to show me the ropes. Walking onto the Marie Claire floor and being introduced to all of the other interns that I was working with, I immediately was told to jump in and learn how the fashion closet and Marie Claire Magazine runs. I also was told three of the most important rules which included; don’t make eye contact with any of the head editors, especially not the editor in chief Anne Fulenwider or Nina Garcia, always make sure to ask Jonathan before asking Rae any questions because as I had mentioned before, the fashion world is enrobed in hierarchy, and lastly whenever Anne Fulenwider’s assistant asks you to get lunch for Anne you drop everything and immediately run. Along with recognizing the importance of hierarchy within the building I also recognized the lack of diversity. Almost every single editor and intern hired was Caucasian or female. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a really interesting post. I can't believe that you were not supposed to make eye contact or ask questions directly to these important people! That leads me to believe that in the past, people (maybe interns) were asking too many questions or making too many comments.

    ReplyDelete