Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 4: Changing Perspectives

Sorry I'm late with this post and the next-being out of town will do that for me.

In answer to the prompt for week 4: I have noticed some changes in my perspective about myself throughout the duration of my work on the UGA Vault. Working independently has been a challenge for me, both in terms of staying focused and being able to come up with ideas on my own. I've always had doubts about my creativity, but doing this work has allowed me to explore my own creativity and alleviate some of those fears. I really feel like this job has been one of the idea that you get out what you put in. If I push myself to create new material and work hard, I feel like I've been productive. If there's a lull in my productivity, I'll be rather bored and won't feel like I'm getting much out of the experience. With that, I also won't feel that the company is going anywhere. It's a good stage for me to be at-to learn to consistently work and come up with new things, just to keep busy. A start-up company, I've learned, is just fishing for as many ideas as possible, and they'll gladly accept whatever I come up with. I've also learned that with a start-up, the peaks and troughs of the company's achievements feel extra magnified. If the company manages to do something successful, anything successful at all, it's huge news, since we're small and slowly making progress. But if nothing is happening, there's just a gloomy feeling around my work, since I don't feel like myself or the company is going anywhere, which isn't something I could say when I've previously worked at more established companies.

2 comments:

  1. I faced a similar challenge with independent work; focusing was a struggle at times, but I actually really enjoyed the sense of freedom it gave me and the show of trust from my superiors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In not only this summer internship, but other work experiences as well, I have also found myself with a lot of freedom. However, with more freedom, I have realized that my motivation and my ability to stay on task can sometimes suffer. What has worked for me is to set small goals each day, as well as set weekly and monthly goals. Simply writing out your goals provides some structure and can help stimulate your production. Furthermore, I am also currently working for a startup. The inconsistency with activity levels throughout each workday seems to be a norm. Thus, I would recommend utilizing your own goals in order to attempt to jolt your company's success in the area that you are working in.

    ReplyDelete