Wednesday, June 11, 2014

2) Getting to Know Your Colleagues at the Gallery

As an intern, I am constantly surrounded by mentors. Whether it be helping someone with a task, or simply seeing and hearing other people do their jobs, I am absorbing how things operate. Delivering mail to people is another way I learned who’s who and built relationships in the large office. Everyone has been very friendly and patient in teaching me things. During this past week, I have learned a lot about process of de-installation and installation. As soon as the Thomas Ruff show ended, the artwork was taken down and packed. Shortly after, the installation process for the Albert Oehlen show began. I admire how graceful and organized the (stressful) process was carried out by my mentors. Each person knows their role, yet, if needed, helps others. I’ve learned from these mentors how multi-faceted the installation process is; from lighting the space, cleaning the walls, and hanging the art, to sending out invitations, printing out press releases, and getting familiar with the artwork.



I spend most of my time by the front desk with the lovely receptionists. I would say that they are my greatest mentors, because they are also the closest in age to me. Many of my mentors have followed in a similar career path: beginning as an intern, working at the front desk, working as someone’s assistant, and so on and so forth. The jobs with higher positions have even more experience, such as, working at other museums and galleries, etc. I aspire to hopefully one day be an art salesman, combining my love of art, passion for business and personability. As far as advice for making this happen, I was basically told to stay passionate, involved and build relationships with people while building my resume. I am following the advice of my mentors and am excited to be interning, as I have a long way to go. 

3 comments:

  1. Alexandra,
    It is great to hear that you are really taking advantage of all that your internship is offering you. Sounds like you are getting great exposure to the various roles in the gallery. And it's awesome that you are getting along so well with the receptionists too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're learning a lot, Lexi!! What is your favorite part so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The internship sounds interesting, and it seems like you would get to see a lot of the behind-the-scenes activities that are normally outside the view of those who casually walk through the exhibits. I hope it has been fun.

    ReplyDelete