Friday, June 13, 2014

Week 2: Getting to Know My Channel V Media Colleagues

The company I am interning at this summer, Channel V Media (CVM) is a small firm that is made up of 12 people including myself. Although the company itself is very small we take on very big clients and projects. Because of the small work environment and the amazing people I work with I have never once had to go on an office coffee run or answer a single phone call  The work I do is integral and affects every member of the CVM team. There are definitive roles in the office, but I feel as much a member of the team as someone with years of experience and a greater skill level. My mentor at the company is Isabela. Isabela is in charge of the internship program and is incredibly helpful and knowledgeable on the field. We both share a passion for fashion, music, and food/beverages. Her strengths are in media writing and pitching, which are two things she is currently teaching me.

CVM works with a number of different clients in order to produce a PR strategy and outreach plan that will attract attention across all relevant media. I have already been given the opportunity to write two different PR pitches for two of our current clients. One is a jewelry company called Fortune & Frame and the other is a new cocktail mixer, NOHO.


One of the partners at CVM, Sabrina always says that in the public relations field, “knowledge is power.” This quote has unquestionably stuck with me. Because of what Sabrina has taught me I have noticed that I am now reading the news more. I am constantly keeping myself educated on what’s going on around the world, current trends, and new and innovative products/ companies. Sabrina also reiterates how important it is to maintain relationships with the press, other companies, and anyone in the industry you happen to meet. Everything I am learning this summer from my colleagues will be useful for my future and I can’t wait to learn more!


4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really cool internship, and like you are learning a lot that you did not know before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you feel comfortable in the work environment despite only being an intern. It is great to feel like you are part of the team as opposed to someone who is meant for errands and chores. It seems like your experience will be extremely helpful for future endeavors, including trying to find another internship in future summers. Hopefully the rest of the summer is equally as enjoyable for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knowledge is DEFINITELY power. I work as a reporting intern for a news organization right now, and some of these people are walking encyclopedias. Because of that, people place a lot of faith in them and have a lot of respect for them. It's cool that we both picked up on that from our co-workers and are both making more of an effort to brush up on current events and whatnot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great and I can definitely relate. Though the company I am working for is large, my office is small and there's never a dull day because we are a small group taking on huge responsibilities like what you mentioned. It's great that you feel you're developing a mentor/mentee relationship as that is key to furthering your knowledge both of the company, and of what you want to do with the rest of your career based off of what they're teaching you!

    ReplyDelete