Thursday, June 12, 2014

Post #2 Madrid Internship

Hi all,
the cards that we put in supermarkets so that
shoppers can donate to the organization
Just from my first few weeks I could see that the atmosphere at my office is very laid back and friendly. Everyone has formed strong relationships with one another, whether it be with the directors, the interns, or the lady who comes in daily to clean the office. It seems that they don’t consider themselves as just coworkers, but more as friends who work together.
The people who have worked here for quite some time and have more knowledge of the organization often act as informal mentors for those who haven’t had much experience in a professional setting. There are two other interns here who are just out of high school and they have been doing some office paperwork. 
Their supervisor always likes to ask how they are doing and takes the time to chat with them. Because the office is essentially one room, the conversations end up involving everyone.

Lucia didn't want to be internet famous
For me, it is more difficult to establish concrete relationships with my coworkers because I’m still not completely fluent in Spanish. However, one of the girls who works here as the graphic designer has helped me learn some of the different Adobe design programs and is always willing to elaborate on any directions that seem unclear to me. What I appreciate most is that she demonstrates a lot of patience with me and always tries to explain unfamiliar words in different ways so that I can understand. She always seems to maintain a sense of humor and a positive attitude.
If I wanted to follow on this career path, I could develop most of my skills at a university. My coworker told me that she wasn’t familiar with Adobe Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, or any of the other design programs before attending college; she had learned all of it from all her courses there. Though I certainly don't have a thorough knowledge of all these different programs, it’s interesting to experiment and build on what I already know.


Until next time,

Hannah

4 comments:

  1. That is so cool that your internship is in Madrid. I can imagine not being fluent in Spanish can be frustrating in the office, but it seems like your coworkers are aware that you may not understand everything they are saying so they try to help you out. I am jealous that you are familiar with graphic design. At my internship, I am learning that that is a great skill to have and I definitely want to take some of those types of classes at school as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like Jordan, I think its awesome that your internship is in Madrid - Your really getting the best of both worlds. My older sister used to work for CNN Espanol and she hardly knows any Spanish but said it was a great experience. I would love to go to Madrid on day or work in a foreign country. Buena Suerte!! Adios!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the language barrier, being able to work in another country and hold your own is really awesome - I'm impressed! It sounds like this is going to be a really awesome opportunity and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats great that everyone is so friendly in the office, even with the language barrier. It seems like you can become really close with your co-workers and really make long-term relationships that might be beneficial down the line. Have fun in Madrid. I hope your experiencing some of the culture while your there as well.

    ReplyDelete