Monday, June 23, 2014

DNC Take 5

This starts my fifth week at the DNC and I am already getting sad when I think of leaving in a few short weeks! My internship experience this summer has been the best in so many ways. My office and department has begun to feel like a little family, I have settled into a routine and weekend life and have made friends I plan on staying close to professionally and socially. The DNC community of interns gets to do so many fun and interesting things that most internships don't offer. Last week we visited the Capitol together and this week we went to the White House and we will soon be heading to the Library of Congress. I have also begun to take advantage of different lectures and events occurring around DC. From free exercise classes, foreign policy lectures, symposiums, exhibits and festivals, there is never a dull moment in this city full of rich history and exceptional people. Last week we even got the opportunity to attend a chat, much like the fireside chats at Michigan, with the writer and producer of House of Cards, Beau Willimon. I also went to the Newseum, which I highly recommend to anyone in DC!

Work has also been very exciting. I got a long-term project today that is super interesting. I will be analyzing the different mailings from the DNC and comparing their response rates from donors based on the use of different DNC staples, such as the new Democratic logo. We have also been trained on the phones, so I get to speak with very interesting people for part of my day. That's not to say I don't get yelled at once in a while by a disgruntled American- but it is all a part of the experience, right?

As for the rest of the week, some friends and I are attending a variety of events from the Congressional baseball game, the viewing of the World Cup, a lunch and learn on a career in politics, all the way to a poetry slam. And let's not forget the Marketing potluck of the week is themed "cheese day!"

I am already brainstorming internships for next summer in this amazing city that I have grown to call home!






1 comment:

  1. I've heard so many great things about the Newseum! Hopefully, I'll make it out there sometime before leaving Baltimore. Also, cheese plus the World Cup -- can't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete