Saturday, August 2, 2014

Changing Perspectives on Entomology Research (prompt 4)

fixing a Malaise trap
Throughout my internship with the National Museum of Natural History, my perspective on what systematic entomology research is like has gradually changed. This is largely because as more and more weeks have passed I have been able to learn more steps in the process of this research. Initially, I spent most of my time databasing and labeling wasp specimens. This is only the tail end of the process of making an insect collection. Now that I have been here for several weeks I have also had the chance to go out into the field a few times and actually collect insects using various types of traps, and to learn how these samples are temporarily stored. The fieldwork has been extremely fun because the sites are stunningly beautiful and it is nice to get outside with some of my colleagues. It is really enlightening to see the very first step of the research.
fieldwork is fun in beautiful grasslands!
changing the trough of a slam trap
I've also learned how to wash samples that were collected in propylene glycol and how to dehydrate some more frail insects using a HMDS treatment before they can be mounted. Moreover, I've just begun learning about the Braconidae family of wasps specifically, and how to differentiate different subfamilies. I am very grateful that I have been able to learn more steps in the research process of an entomology lab. It makes each step feel more meaningful when you know where it fits in the entire process and what steps come before and after.

my boss, some colleagues (now friends), and me
My idea of what this internship experience would be like has also changed in other ways. Before I began my internship here (initially over spring break) I expected everyone to be very serious. Of course everyone is still very hard-working and extremely knowledgeable, but I was also surprised to realize that these top research scientists are still normal, real people too. All of the scientists I have met and worked for are incredibly friendly and quite funny. I feel very fortunate to get to learn about entomology and research as a whole from them. It is clear that entomology is a passion for all of them and they are excited about teaching young scientists.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Morgan,
    I am so jealous of the fieldwork you are getting to do! It looks like a lot of fun and hopefully you are making some awesome connections! Good luck with the rest of your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you really enjoyed yourself Morgan. It seems to me that you are truly passionate about what you did this summer. I hope that you keep up the good work and keep making connections!

    ReplyDelete