Sunday, June 8, 2014

First few weeks at Scoutmob!

After my first three weeks at Scoutmob, I have already had a great experience and have learned so much about the company. Based in Atlanta, Scoutmob is a popular eCommerce sight that is divided into two sections. In their “Local” section, Scoutmob posts deals that must be redeemed through the application, (such as 50% off) at local restaurants.  The “Shoppe” section of Scoutmob posts products made by local merchants from furniture, to food, to jewelry and clothes. While it may seem similar to Groupon or Etsy, Scoutmob is unique in that the company is extremely particular in regards to what companies they partner with.
I work for the Head of Merchandising who does Marketing/PR. I spend my days sitting at “Intern Island” with the other interns, where we all work on our specific projects. I also sit in on about 1-2 meetings per day, which I have found to be extremely valuable. Sometimes I will meet with my boss and one other, while other times there will be about five to ten of us in a meeting.
In the next week or two, Scoutmob will be launching a wedding section on Shoppe, which I have become very involved with. For my first project, I was instructed to compile a list of 300 wedding/lifestyle bloggers who have a presence on Pinterest. Once the wedding section is established, we will reach out to them. After I finished, my boss showed me the many different lists of bloggers that they have reached out to in the past, which is very disorganized! I am now working to compile all of the lists into one, and am also adding in information for each blog such which social media sites they have a presence on and how many followers they have on each. Though this has required a lot of tedious research, it will be extremely helpful for future outreach. I have also taken over part of Scoutmob’s Pinterest, which I have really enjoyed. 

            So far, I have felt very comfortable at Scoutmob. The office is one large room with fun decorations all around it. The other employees (and interns) are extremely nice and helpful, and there are always at least 2 of the employees dogs running around! I’ve already gained a lot of experience, and I’m excited to keep learning more! 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Stacy,

    The idea of a local-only eCommerce site sounds great. I think it's really important for people to buy locally and support their community artists and small businesses. Your office looks so fun and I'm so jealous of the dogs...I probably wouldn't get any work done because I'd be too busy playing with them! Do the other interns work in Marketing/PR as well? Compiling databases of bloggers is tedious - I was given a similar task at my own internship. However, once you're all set and done,I think it will be gratifying to see the results. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete