Monday, June 9, 2014

Blog Post 3: Overcoming Obstacles


I can barely believe that the halfway mark of this exciting experience is approaching. The time seems to be speeding by. As I think about the past few weeks, I realize I have had so many unique opportunties but there is still much room for improvement. One of the first stories I helped film was one on Homes Eyewear, the eyewear company that makes wooden glasses frames out of razed Detroit houses. The turnaround time of our prerecorded pieces is about 2-3 weeks so last week I was given the opportunity to help write it with on of our anchors, Guy Gordon. He was so happy with my work that he did not even feel the need to change it and I was offered to opportunity to script for future stories. This was incredibly fulfilling to see that a task I had taken with not much previous knowledge turned out to be one that I could not only satisfy, but do well enough to be read by our anchors on air. To hear my own writing read by Karen and Guy was such a rewarding, surreal experience. Writing has always been something I enjoyed and consider a strength of mine so to see that I could also put together a live TV script was incredibly encouraging.
My on-air experience is still something I need to work on. I have been practicing my stand-ups, which is the way you open, bridge or close a piece. As most people often are, I am very critical of myself on camera. While this is something I thought I was relatively experienced at through my experiences through WOLV and The Michigan Daily's video department, I still have a lot of room for improvement. Learning and taking tips from the anchors, reporters, video journalists and photogs at WDIV has taught me so much even in this short time. I've taken away two simple, essential pieces of advice from all of the suggestions I am receiving. Firstly, it is important to be natural yet poised on camera. While this seems easy it is sometimes reflexive to slip into either a completely colloquial or utterly cliché and seemingly fake persona on camera, neither of which will appeal to viewers. Secondly, even though each reporter, anchor and photog will have a suggestion for you to improve your on-air presence, it is necessary to follow your instinct and find your own balance. 

Some look-lives we shot for our weatherman

Wish Upon a Teen shoot 
One of our vans

5 comments:

  1. sounds like you learned a lot and are coming out with a great understanding of what else you need to learn -- awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That eyewear company you described sounds amazing! Glad everything is going so well for you, especially with something as difficult (to me, anyway) as being on camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really cool and like you are gaining a lot of experience! Though you have been on camera before, I'm excited to see what skills you pick up from this first hand experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really awesome experience! Its nice that you get to experience many different aspects, like helping write scripts. I also like how you have made the connections between Umich and your internship :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! I'm really enjoying reading about all of your internships as well, excited to hear more about each of your experiences!

    ReplyDelete