Monday, June 9, 2014

A Hectic Start: Working CMA Fest in Nashville

Hey all!

I just wrapped up working CMA Fest coverage for The Tennessean, where I'm interning as a music/news reporter. The whole week was surreal. I got to go around and take quotes from famous country artists (Brantley Gilbert, the Band Perry, Lady Antebellum, LeAnn Rimes, etc.) and attend all of their performances for social media coverage. It left quite an impression on me for my first few weeks working here. It definitely made me realize how hands-on my internship is going to be! I've been so busy reporting on-the-scene that I haven't gotten to spend much time at the office so far.

One of my favorite groups of all time is Lady Antebellum, and I got to cover their Close Up Stage Q&A yesterday. Sure feels weird having them standing right in front of you. And they gave everyone cake pops! Also, Dave Haywood (photo right) threw his guitar pick to the audience and I caught it, haha. Here's a photo I took!


There sure was a lot of movement involved. I was hopping from one end of Nashville to the next -- Jake Owen rehearsal coverage in the morning, a Kristen Bell press conference at noon, LP Field shows at night. Tiring, but so totally worth it!

By far my favorite responsibility was getting to cover LP Field. Basically I got to see Luke Bryan, Dierks Bentley, Brantley Gilbert, Tim McGraw, Rascal Flatts, Blake Shelton, Eric Church, Jason Aldean, Miranda Lambert, Travis Tritt, The Band Perry, Darius Rucker, Florida Georgia Line, Keith Urban, Little Big Town, Sara Evans, Brad Paisley, Hunter Hayes, Lady Antebellum, Zac Brown Band, and Thomas Rhett all in concert from the field of a Nashville football stadium. It's been a crazy 4 nights, needless to say.

If any of you guys like country music, follow me on twitter (@GregoryMHicks)! I get to interact with a lot of amazing artists for my internship. One of my published articles even got retweeted by LeAnn Rimes!

- Greg Hicks

5 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds like such an amazing opportunity! How cool to meet all those celebs. How did the interview process go? Did you brainstorm questions before or just play it by ear? Were you starstruck at all or allowed to ask for a picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! It is amazing that you get to do such hands on work, and with celebrities nonetheless. Was your interviewing more like a conversation and very casual or were you given certain restrictions and specific questions? After CMA fest, what do you think your day to day will entail?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a country music fan, I am so incredibly jealous!! Reporting on this kind of stuff sounds like it must be a blast, and you get to learn so much. Sounds like you are getting an up close and personal experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback! I'm super starstruck deep down, but I can't show it at all because I'm supposed to look professional as a reporter -- which is unfortunate because I REALLY want to take pictures with the people, but can't. Basically I do come up with my own questions, and brainstorm them around whatever event or reason brings the certain person to Nashville. People are SO nice, and they always appreciate that the publication is taking time to promote their work. That said, artists or whoever will usually go on forever about whatever they're doing because they're so excited to spread the word through such a well-known newspaper.

    Things have slowed down a bit now that CMA Fest is over, but I still get to do a lot of mainstream music related work. Actually, today I attended Frankie Ballard's #1 party for "Helluva Life"! Turns out he's from Battle Creek, Michigan, and when he found out I was from Michigan, he asked me where specifically and whatnot. So much fun. I'll post more often now that I have time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this seems like such an unforgettable summer for you. Did you grow up always listening to country music? I'm not the most knowledgable about this genre but I definitely recognize these popular bands. Were you nervous at all while talking to these celebrities?

    ReplyDelete